Multiport KVM over IP¶
There are many ways to do this, but the best and most documented one right now is to use the ezCoo KVM switch.
Also, PiKVM can be connected to a multi-port HDMI/USB switch and the switch's buttons can be connected via optocouplers to the Pi's GPIO to switch channels.
If your KVM switches channels using keyboard shortcuts, there is a chance that it will not be able to work with OTG (v2+ platform, see below), since it does not fully implement the USB stack. In this case, you will have to use an Arduino board to emulate the keyboard & mouse (PiKVM supports this configuration).
If you choose AIMOS, be aware that it has a back powering issue that you need to use work arounds for. Limitations are are listed below. Also please be aware that Arduino's will not work with the AIMOS KVM's.
List of tested KVMs¶
Here the status is:
- ✔ - Everything is working as expected. There may be some subtleties.
- ☹ - Something wrong.
- ✘ - The keyboard or mouse does not work at all, the switch loses the image, etc.
|ezCoo EZ-SW41HA-KVMU3L 4x1 switch
||✔||Using with PiKVM - 4 Port is the ONLY supported KVM, 2 Port does not work the same and is not supported|
|TESmart 8 PORT - HDMI KVM SWITCH||✔||Use OTG with USB 2.0 Hub only, no hotkey support. Switching available with serial or IP-to-serial interface using fixed IP (/31 peer-to-peer addressing supported). Can be managed via WebUI or CLI tool|
|XH-HK4401 4-port HDMI USB KVM Switch||✔||Using with PiKVM - USB MSD works, requires the HDMI backpower solutions found below|
|Ali's noname||✔||Limitations are are listed below|
|AIMOS 8-port HDMI USB-C KVM Switch||☹||Similar to Ali's noname model, available in 4/8port editions, has same HDMI bridge boot problem/solution using a Marmitek 312 UHD HDMI splitter. Limitations are are listed below|
- HDMI backpower solutions:
- MSD workaround (will not work OOB)
- RPi4 OTG needs to be in the KB port for mouse and KB funtionality, ZeroW is required and needs to be connected to the HUB port for HK switching and MSD functionality - ✔KNOWN WORKING✔
- See here - Advanced soldering required - allows use of GPIO menu to change input